Tuesday, November 07, 2006

voting

We braved the rain and fog to get to our town's gym to vote in this very heated mid-term election. I'm very worried, as many are, the direction that we're all headed for, locally, generally, globally.

However, I don't think I've ever seen so many people at the polls as I did today; there was barely a parking spot to be had. After signing in at several card tables, I took my ballot to my cubby and blackened the ovals and wrote in one candidate's name for town council. But I can't help thinking: ultimately, will anything change? Is this a fair and honest system, or is it so corrupt that my vote will be, in the end, meaningless? It seems pretty depressing and hopeless out there, and the divide between the super-rich and the super-poor is getting wider, with the middle class disappearing into the breach. Listen, I pay for my own health insurance, so I can't afford to get sick.

My fingers are crossed against what may be the will of the "majority".

No comments: