Sunday, August 05, 2007

connections

The other day, L (photographer here), who is participating in the creation of her school's first-ever cookbook , needed to test a recipe. And so, for the first time she took over dinner from start to finish. I didn't lift a finger, and she made this shepherd's pie, peeling potatoes and carrots, chopping them, adding onions, browning meat, mashing potatoes, seasoning. Everything. It was a red letter day for me, and an eye-opener for her about exactly what it is I do every night.

We decided to get out the casserole dish that my mother always used for special occasions to bake it in. She always made what was then a slightly exotic concoction of boneless chicken breasts, sauteed rice, mushrooms, and pimentos, baked in this special pottery dish that I think she had received as a wedding present.



I did take over the washing up, and as I submerged casserole, I caught a whiff of that dish my mother made. Proustian moment? or perhaps my mother was around, peering over L's shoulder as she made her first supper.

I hope so.

11 comments:

stephanie s said...

what a lovely post beth...

kmkat said...

Awwwww.

MotherPie said...

Do you relate this at all to your dreams, and I would think that maybe yes, it was the presence of your mother.

Sandi @ the WhistleStop Cafe said...

I love the thought... It happens to me sometimes.
I know so!

Stacie said...

Beautiful dish!!!!

Mountain Dweller said...

How wonderful to be cooked for and what a nice way to use a family heirloom!

Tongue in Cheek Antiques said...

The sweet memory of comfort food, home and hearth. Beautiful and delicious post!

Abraham Lincoln said...

Very nice post. Good photography and good reading.

I added some computer generated art to my blog today. Some people like it and some do not. You can see it at my blog. Brookville Daily Photo

mcewen said...

A beautiful post with wonderful associations.
Best wishes

Claude said...

Yes, you certainly wrote a beautiful connecting post here.
Lovely.

blackbird said...

Is that casserole dish deep brown on the outside?!