Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Not sure

but personal, internal crises seem to be a monthly occurrence the past few years. Questioning focus, finances, future. All the F's, really. Even the f-stop on the camera is giving me pause.

• • • • •

Anyway, what I meant to write about was new footwear, as L's two pairs of boots arrived in a gigantic box this morning. Pristine. Thrilling. There is something so transporting about new shoes; the workmanship, the stitching. Their new-leather heady aroma. You breathe in the possibility of where you will go in them. And who will admire your grace and style as you purpose your way down the sidewalk (always a sidewalk in a big city, always late fall).



Not to be confused with the shoes your mother had reheeled for you and that squeeeeked squeeeeked squeeeeked down the reflecting unforgiving hallways of middle school.

Think instead of the discreet taps of the Italian high heels, subtle blue, of your 20s. Or the espadrilles that laced up your shin. hmmm.

Threw out good money on decorated Birkenstocks just last month. Can hardly wait to wear them . . .

The good grey guardians of art
Patrol the halls on spongy shoes,
Impartially protective, though
Perhaps suspicious of Toulouse.
-R. Wilbur

We shall walk in velvet shoes:
Wherever we go
Silence will fall like dew
On white silence below.
We shall walk in the snow.

-E. Wylie



11 comments:

Baino said...

I love boots but have fat calves so trixy to get them to fit. Sadly, I am not a shoe person as long as they fit, are comfy, they'll do! (Actually I watched 'Oprah' today - don't laugh I was bored - and she was showing how shoes can make you look slimmer, younger bla bla. Might have to invest)

JGH said...

Now you've got me thinking about all the favorite pairs of shoes of my past. It's really hard to throw out a worn pair that has served you well, but New Year is a good time to do it, I think. Love the new ones, L!

Betty Carlson said...

Serendipity. I'm not much into fashion of any sort, but I did buy myself a great pair of new boots for walkin' in Amsterdam and have really been feeling great wearing them this week!

I'm aware of Theme Thursday, but have never participated in it...although things may come to that on Thursday.

I also used to write posts for something similar called Sunday Scribblings. A lot of "real" writers participate in that so it was a bit daunting, but at least it gave some ideas.

Blog on!

Kurt said...

I like the boots depicted in this post.

secret agent woman said...

Cool boots. I have an abiding love for boots.

Anonymous said...

"the bottoms of my shoes are clean from walking in the rain."
~ jack kerouac

xxxooo

Roy said...

Nice boots! I gotta get me a pair of those. My most comfortable pair of shoes was a pair of old Frye square-toes that lasted forever and ever. I had them resoled at leasr 5 times before the boots finally gave up and died. Now you've got me thinking about another pair.

tut-tut said...

Frye boots; now we're talking

tut-tut said...

I miss you, anonymous

blackbird said...

Gosh
those
are
nice.

tattytiara said...

Oh cool boots! Yes yes yes, I do love the smell of fresh footwear too.