Sunday, May 02, 2010

Sunday


L's May Day bouquet


It's the day after prom; L spent the night with a friend at her APARTMENT! yes, this girl's parents have an apt downtown for their daughter to use during the week, as it is too far to drive back and forth to her house. Well, I was a bit conflicted about the fact there would be no parent there; on the other hand, they are 18. Well, it is out of my hands soon, anyway. Right? and L is quite self-possessed, so . . . Betty C., perhaps you can offer some advice on this topic. (I'm hoping for some musical links to you, too, BC.)

***

Hugh F-W is publishing more of his little handbook series. Even though there are no hedgerows in my vicinity, I feel the need for this one. These are better than travel guides; they whisk you away into the English countryside.


John Wright has a blog at rivercottage.net; the latest entry contains some interesting thoughts on mushrooming.

False Morels? Hmmm. Rocket fuel indeed!! Up and away, I say.

9 comments:

Betty Carlson said...

Hmmm...well I suppose you know that our elder daughter has an apartment in town. Of course she's in college but younger (almost 17) daughter stays there too, sometimes on her own...I guess this set-up is relatively frequent in our rural area of France. High schools are centralized in the larger towns only, so a lot of families choose this option. High schools provide boarding facilities too, but they are pretty strict. The girls who had been living in the apartment before her were both high school seniors.

It has worked out great for us.

Subby said...

Nice to have a back-up flat, it is.

I remember bein' 18...I think...

Nice shades of pink here, on the flowers :)

Wanderer said...

If an 18 yr. old girl has had great parenting, she will respect herself and others. You have NOTHING to worry about.

Baino said...

It's hard letting them go but you're right, 18 they can vote and fight so should probably be trusted to spend a night in an apartment after Prom!

The poor old blackberry is a noxious weed here unfortunately, it goes mad in the warm weather so no fruity hedgerows for us! And I'm a little suspicious of picking wild mushrooms, just in case . . .

JGH said...

Happy May, Tut and L! Glad she made it thru her first night in an APARTMENT!!!! (and you did too ;-)

Didn't know our friend Hugh wrote guides!

Gledwood said...

It's practically summer and yet I had to go out wearing a winter coat this afternoon, it was so freezing cold!!

Kurt said...

When I was 18, I stayed overnight at a cabin with a bunch of friends. I called my dad and told him where I was rather than asking for permission. Hey - I was 18!

Betty said...

I hardly slept a wink when we left our youngest on her own at home for the 1st time - I think she was about 17.
Now I'm just glad there's someone to feed the cats when we're away! :)

tut-tut said...

All girls had a lovely time; but the music at the dance could have been more danceable for those w/out dates. when they got back to the apt, they had their own dance part, and L was back home at noonish.