Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Exhausting

We all arose at 4 a.m., to get D to the ophthalmologist by 6, so he could be in cataract surgery by 8:30. When I called at 10, to find out how everything had gone, I found out he had just gone in! Apparently, his blood pressure was elevated (gee, I wonder why?), so they had to wait for it to drop, which they hastened along with the aid of a drug. The nurse gave me quite a lecture on getting him to get bp meds, etc.; I replied that all this was up to him. Hmph! she replied.

Now he's back, with a patch over one eye, but not too worse for all of it. He's got a "Patient Lens Implant Identification Card," which I guess he is to carry in his wallet. We return tomorrow to have the patch removed. I remember seeing "old people" with similar patches, and didn't realize what they were for.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

My Uncle's (75) Dr is convinced he has high blood pressure as it is always up when he has it checked at the surgery however his daughter's both nurses monitor him at home and apparently he is normal there. Something to do woith the stress. Hope D is soon feeling great again.

blackbird said...

Sounds pretty good then!

When I took K to the hospital after his scooter accident they told him his blood pressure was a little high -
YEAH, said he, I just cracked up my scooter!

Shammickite said...

Cataract surgery seems to be pretty common these days, and is usually successful. Best wishes to D, and tell him to LOOK out for himself!

Alice said...

can you make pirate jokes until the patch is removed?

Anonymous said...

Pleased to hear that all (excepting the blood pressure!) went well.

Anonymous said...

Sure hope you don't have to get up that early tomorrow! Good to know that everything's alright

Linda said...

I am old operating room nurse so I saw tons of these surgeries. My mother had one a few years ago and I'm sure it won't be long until I'm going to need it. I'm glad it is so simple now. When they first started doing them, you had to stay in bed for a week with your head between two sand bags so you wouldn't turn your head.