Saturday, May 19, 2007

this morning

I'm spending time finishing up Sarah Dunant's In the Company of the Courtesan, riveting, great writing. Now I want to read everything she's written!

Our new deck and pergola are finished, and I can't believe how much better the entire back of our house looks. I put together a pot of flowers especially to attract hummingbirds from P. Allen Smith's Container Gardens, which I got out of the library. It was very helpful to have this as a guide, as I'm more at home with perennials and herbs that with big, showy annuals. I've also got parsley, basil, cilantro, and an heirloom pepper, Fish Hot Pepper, which I've never seen before, so I hope it produces!

L is being industrious and working as a volunteer at the library; I hope she picks up a few more hours during summer vacation, which begins in two weeks. My editing project starts in at the end of next week, so we will all be busy.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Set in Venice, isn't it?
I think I mentioned it once in a booktalk.

Look forward to hear more about the humming birds.

lettuce said...

i've got into house-leeks and similar in lots of my pots in recent years - i love them. (and great for climate change/drought)

Anonymous said...

We have spent all weekend working on our terrace - tiling and painting the railings. It is a never ending job.
Will we get to see a photo of your deck?

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see pictures of the finished product.
I will send the hummers back your way!

Shammickite said...

I saw the first hummingbird EVER in my back yard this week poking it's nose into a daffodil. I immediately rushed out and bought a hummingbird feeder, filled it with sugar and water nectar, and haven't seen a hummingbird since! Oh well, maybe tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

Will you go reviews?! When I was a child the library was one of my favorite places. I cannot wait to hear your tales unwind, and the stories you will lead us too.

teaorwine said...

Isn't that the way it always is? Read one good book and seek out everything written by that author. Enjoy!