Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Another poem


Reya got me pouring over some poetry. Here's one I just discovered that seems apt:

The State of the Economy
Louis Jenkins

There might be some change on top of the dresser at the back, and we should check the washer and dryer. Check under the floor mats of the car. The couch cushions. I have some books and CDs I could sell, and there are a couple of big bags of aluminum cans in the basement, only trouble is that there isn't enough gas in the car to get around the block. I'm expecting a check sometime next week, which, if we are careful, will get us through to payday. In the meantime with your one-dollar rebate check and a few coins we have enough to walk to the store and buy a quart of milk and a newspaper. On second thought, forget the newspaper.

9 comments:

Megan said...

Sad but true.

Gledwood said...

Be careful putting your hand down the back of that couch: you do live in a warm part of America, do you not? Careful not to get bitten by a black widow or a reclusive brown/whatever it's called....

...just sayin'!

Gledwood said...

also perhaps I should add I know that feeling only FAR TOO WELL of scratting for the last of nonexistent change when you know you've already looked several times that week

d'you know i used to deliberately leave pound coins, uncounted, scattered in corners and crannies so i could come back for 'em later when i needed a drink...

... a system that broke down sorely when a certain theiving housemate took to coming into my room and STEALING them

hmmmmmm

e said...

Gee Tut-Tut,

Do you think you should submit that with a letter to Obama asking that he hand it around to our congrsesspersons and senators? Perhaps it will remind them who they are supposed to be working for! Great poem! I think the newspaper is useful when there are holes in shoes...

Kurt said...

I like poems.

JGH said...

Yikes. That was a pretty good approximation of our biggest fear right now. What's even scarier is that with all the CDs we have to sell, nobody's buying them anymore!

Squirrel said...

reminds me of my college days, broke all of the time and tired all of the time, trying to do schoolwork at my job or in my car. going through coat pockets for change. yet they were not bad days at all. when my car broke down, a friend drove me to work, to class, while another friend loaned me money or fixed my car. we have grown away from that kind of supportive friendship now, time to get back.

excellent poem.

Merle Sneed said...

Having enough money is when you never have to think about it.

angela said...

I've been known to turn out the pockets, check the car seats and down the back of the settee and compromised over what gets bought and what doesn't. With the way the economy's going downhill I expect to be doing it again