Monday, February 09, 2009

Music Monday-संगीत सोमवार (apparently)



One of my friends who is Indian let me borrow this movie ("Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam" or "Straight From the Heart" according to Wikipedia) after I went to her house on Friday. I watched some of it Saturday after I took the ACT and I really like this song best so far. I haven't gotten through the whole movie because it's 3 1/2 hours long, and the plot line isn't the greatest. But the music and dancing is so good!
This song is called Nimbooda. She's singing about the "sour lime" and the "sour lemon" as metaphors for something, but I couldn't catch what. Anyway, who cares! Look at the coordination and saris!

-L

P.S. I am so excited to meet Mouse AKA Kimmy later this week :)

P.P.S Re: The Title. I translated Music Monday into Hindi via a translator, so I hope it didn't translate it into anything terrible that doesn't mean music monday!

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

3-1/2 hours? Sounds about as long as "Intolerance". I can just imagine if Griffith had gotten his way,the movie would've lasted about a week( not kidding)! Eric Von Stroheim was another one for pumping out the reelage.

Anonymous said...

I know this makes me sound uncultured, but I like movies to be about 90 minutes long!

(My son took the ACT Saturday, too!)

Roy said...

Heh, heh! Yeah, Bollywood films aren't real big on plot. They tend to be one song-and-dance routine after the other. If you want to see a great Western take on the whole Bollywood thing, watch Baz Luhrman's Moulin Rouge.

And what fun! You and Kim get to meet up!

Merle Sneed said...

I reminds me of Hollywood movies from the 40s.

Gledwood said...

Funny... you're talking of "sour lime" and ..."sour lemons"... but when I was in India and specifically wanted lime (as a cold cure actually) I had to ask for "green lemon" then I got it straight away... odd considering lime pickle etc are staples of Indian cuisine...

Pecos Blue said...

I loved the dancing in this movie. Don't you wish you could dress like that everyday.

Megan said...

I love the colors. Enjoy your trip!

e said...

I love the exuberance of Bollywood! Left you a note on my blog. Thanks for the kind words. Are you trying to go back to school or something? Just curious...

Tess Kincaid said...

Thanks for your comment over at my blog. I adore Black Narcissis and actually own a copy, I like it so much!

Kurt said...

That dance looks hard on the knees.

e said...

Dear Tut-Tut and L,

I wish you both a wonderful and safe adventure together as you visit your schools of interest this week. Safe driving and I'll look for your posting!

E

Squirrel said...

You'll love KimY

Barbara said...

I've seen a couple of movies about Indian and Pakistani weddings. They seem joyous and colorful and I can imagine the food is so delicious!

mouse (aka kimy) said...

great vid!

c u SOON!!!

I love musical mondays....

Patty said...

i love bollywood movies, i take belly dance lessons and enjoy the dancing in the movies

DineometerDeb said...

I'm a Bollywood fan too. In Houston they have a Bollywood theater where families go on Saturday night, kids in pj's sometimes, ready for the lengthy Bollywood movies. They sell Indian snacks and chai along with popcorn and coke. Wonderful fun!