Sunday, March 06, 2011

Sunday, seeds, + Allegra Goodman

This morning I went up to the veg patch. I didn't realize how cold it is outside, until I got halfway across the empty playing field that borders the plots. The wind was (almost) Siberian (for Tennessee). I had planned on planting a few things, but within minutes my hands were too frozen to manipulate anything as tiny as a seed.

I had hoped to see the peas up that D had planted, but instead I saw that some of the seeds had popped up to the surface, from a 2-in. depth! Pushed them back in so they will sprout. I'm willing this year to yield a much better growing season than last year.

***
A favorite author of mine is Allegra Goodman: here is a link to her giving a speech at the 2010 National Book Festival. I'm listening to the introduction, so let me know if you listen.

2 comments:

JGH said...

Won't be long now, Tut. I was just looking at the bed where I planted my garlic - wondering why it hasn't poked up yet. Of course it's because the ground is still frozen!

I really want to read The Cookbook Collector.

Kurt said...

24 minutes is a big time commitment. I still have to listen to all 4 1/2 hours of Mr. Rogers interviews at the Archive of American Television.