Thursday, November 08, 2007

acquiring

Reading Claude's post today made me realize how I've been thinking lately of having lived more than half of my life already. It's made me think about what projects I want to start, and to direct myself more toward those things I really want to complete. I think about the Kaffe Fassett needlepoint I began when my niece was a preschooler; now she's in her early twenties, and the project is still not finished. I want to be able to concentrate on those objects and projects that need to finish, and not start new ones. Or do I?

Sometimes we do just need to let something go, and move on. Perhaps I need to get rid of all these unfinished projects, literally get them out of the house. Why is it so difficult to clean out something and just let it go? Does it have to do with the fact I've paid for these things? So I've got to keep them, just in case?

I got to know someone quite well this year, well enough to see her habits as a cautionary tale. She cannot stop buying things, even though she will almost certainly never ever use these things, nor even remember in the rubble of her purchases that she has actually bought them. Indeed, I've seen her receive something, open it, and say, "Oh, for heaven's sake, I already HAVE this!"

It's time to strip down, get spare, clear out the cobwebs of stuff and see what it is I really want to do. Because the window of time for it all is shrinking . . .

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Less IS more.

blackbird said...

A tall order - keep us posted.

Anonymous said...

It can be hard to part with those half finished projects, I think it's a bit of a guilt thing actually but hey ho chuck them away and start again.

lettuce said...

oooh i recognise this dilemma!

let me know how you get on.....