Wednesday, November 07, 2007

creativity

It's very difficult for me to plunge in to a project. It is so easy to peruse one of the many, many books I have, rather than get to the loom or the needles. I wish I could be more like A, who picks up a bunch of yarn and just starts in on something that ends up being as much an expression of herself as a wearable item.

I get so caught up in doing it RIGHT that I sometimes lose sight of the process. I don't think I'm so much interested in making a thing, as I am in making something that is executed well. I don't know whether this can go hand in hand with creating something or not . . .

I think I shall think about my relationship to wanting to make something that reflects my ideas and notions. But I do wish I were more comfortable with color!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Creativity is such a process. Like giving birth. It takes gestation, simmering. And uncertainty as it builds and gels, the idea of it.

But we must create, we must.

Anonymous said...

I love what you are writing,,,and I think creativity really comes from just playing, and not having a care with what comes out of it. That way, the perfection glasses have to come off...and all sorts of amazing things begin to occur. I just discovered the power of play since I have been doing this jewelry thing. I want to incorporate it other areas too...see where it goes...great posts, by the way...

Linda said...

I tried knitting once and dropped so many stiches and had so many holes in the piece that I've never done it again.

Anonymous said...

You're a perfectionist and there's no harm in that. My dad used to hammer into me "that a job worth doing is worth doing properly". Surely it's better to take on less projects, but have something worthwhile and that you're really pleased with at the end.