Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Dental woes

I had a cleaning today . . .

I hate going to the dentist. It all started years ago, when I was still in single digits. Somehow, I had an abscess, in the lower left quadrant (which remains to this day a troublesome area, tooth-wise). The dentist came at me with the hugest syringe I had ever seen. What did I do? Yes, I leaped out of the chair and got as fair away as I could from the dentist and his syringe.

What did he do?? He yelled at me to sit back down! And chased me!! My psyche has never been the same since.

Last summer, the dentist (not the screamy one; I'm sure he's long dead—at least I hope so . . .) told me I needed to have a crown put on in that lower left quadrant, on a tooth already much maligned with a root canal. Naturally I made the appointment and naturally I canceled it (when they weren't open, so I didn't have to talk to anyone). But today the dentist tells me that the "crack is widening; you don't want to lose the tooth, do you?" so I made another appointment.

I don't know what to do. Keep the appointment? These things are expensive. Gamble with my dental health?

I was going to post a picture of teeth, but I can't even bring myself to look a them!

4 comments:

quintarantino said...

Between you and me... I hate going to dentists.

blackbird said...

Is it a tooth in the back?

Anonymous said...

Oh, do I understand you! I was at the dentist's last Friday, and actually, what I mind most is when they do the cleanup job with this horrible little machine they have that makes that horrible noise close to your brain!
Yuk!

sonia a. mascaro said...

I have periodontal illness, so I need to go to dentist frequently. I don't like it, but.... I need it.

Thank you for your nice comment on my blog!