Wednesday, November 21, 2007

New intention

I went over here, and found that there is a whole movement afoot to buy or make handmade things. Given the fact that I'm very very interested in knitting, sewing, weaving, spinning, it only makes sense to embrace that in every way I can. After all, there isn't much of a leap from making dinner from scratch every night, from as many local, organic ingredients as possible, to making things "from scratch" or buying such items.

So, I'm taking up the challenge and getting down to it; I've got fabric, yarns, fleece: I just have to get past having to do everything perfectly. There is so much to look at for inspiration, too; so many good bloggers are great crafters and artists, too.

And then there's the whole issue of letting someone else decide just what it is you do want to have. And what about your standards concerning workmanship? Money versus quality? This brings up the lack of oversight concerning imports from China, as well as our domestic problems in food inspection. Maybe if we each get more involved in the doing, we'll also take back more control of family life in general! As Laurie Colwin paraphrased Ralph Nader in More Home Cooking, large corporations do not have our best interests at heart.


Well, enough of a rant; I'm off to find the scissors . . .

3 comments:

blackbird said...

We've done home made gifts for our families for a a few years - one must change their expectations, both as a giver and recipient. Something made from scratch must be appreciated as a gift from the heart, and I don't know if that is how our gifts have been received, but that is our intention...it's always felt good from our end.

paris parfait said...

Quality is so much more important than quantity, in my book. I can't believe what's happened to some goods sold by American companies but made in China. For instance, Nine West: they used to produce their shoes in Brazil or Spain and they were nice leather and well-made shoes. Now they are made in China of inferior materials and look cheap. I refuse to buy things like that and don't know what these corporations are thinking (about their profit margin, obviously, rather than their customer).

Anyway, wanted to wish you and your family a very Happy Thanksgiving! Hope you have a wonderful celebration. Am so glad our paths have crossed. xo

Suse said...

Yay for handmade! I am sooo interested in spinning but I'm holding off. Such a slippery slope ...