Thursday, September 11, 2008

Theme: key

The used key is always bright.
—B. Franklin




And necessary to start up many adventures.



Many years ago, we were surprised when my brother-in-law invited us to a resort where he had once been a groundskeeper, in the upper Keys in Florida. I had never been in this area before. During one day there, my mother, D, tiny baby L, and I drove all the way down to Key West. A revelation at the end of US 1. It seemed like a piratical version of a New England town. Bikes and chickens. A sign: Warning! Marine life beyond this point.


D and I returned to Key West another year (with L, who got around in style in a stroller), and in fact couldn't leave because of a snow- and icestorm that covered most of the East. It turned very cold one day, a record I think. Could it have been 40 degrees? It seems that it was, and a restaurant or bar had a fireplace stoked. It was a very strange, liberating feeling, knowing we had to stay somewhere we really didn't want to leave.


A map key is useful, especially in another country entirely . . .


A keystone is key; otherwise, the entire enterprise might crumble.


Postscript:
Just as my fingers on these keys
Make music, so the self-same sounds
On my spirit make a music, too.
—"Peter Quince at the Clavier," Wallace Stevens

18 comments:

Kurt said...

That reminds me of the olden days when going places and doing things was fun.

Coffee Messiah said...

I like what you did here.

mouse (aka kimy) said...

I would love to visit the florida keys some day.... but why would they post a warning about marine life?

and I love ALL the various keys in this post!

do you know why they call bottle openers church keys?

I just realized I should have included something about pennsylvania - I wonder when it became known as the keystone state.... ah more things to research! it never ends does it this quest for useless information!

Joanne said...

I like the Wallace Stevens quote; since I love music, it holds the "key" to my heart :)

edward said...

oooh i like this post. clever and fun to read.

Pecos Blue said...

Very nice I do not have anything key to add.

Squirrel said...

I sure have learned a lot about keys. I forgot how much I liked map keys when I was a kid--I used to make these fake maps with really silly keys. I wish I still had some of those!

Shammickite said...

I have a big bunch of keys... all kinds, all sizes,... no idea what, or who, they belong to, but I hate to throw them away, just in case.... you know......

Steve Reed said...

Key West is definitely my favorite key! :)

Angie Ledbetter said...

These elements, quotes and thoughts could work into a nice poem. ;) Very appealing blog!

Reya Mellicker said...

I love Wallace Stevens - and - I could actually have written about keys this week. Or any week. I love keys.

Anonymous said...

This was lovely.

lettuce said...

how about being "keyed up"? (which has just occurred to me) - i spose thats to do with the "opening up" anticipation, unknown...

i'd like to visit the florida keys.
maybe one day
:-)

Linda said...

My son and his family made a trip to Key West this summer only to evacuate with the Hurricane. They ended up having a good time somewhere else in FL.

Gledwood said...

Hey, ain't that sea cow/manatee country..?

Anonymous said...

Keys have special meanings and special stories each one!
I should sometimes take a photo from our oldest keys, they are very heavy and big ones.
But I am smiling because of Shammickite`s comment, I have also tens of old keys just in case as she is saying :)

Thank you for your visits my blog, Beth!

JGH said...

Loved your story about Key West. I've been there a few times, including my honeymoon - one of my favorite places. I can't imagine being there in 40 degree weather.

I remember this poem from 2nd grade:
"A Bunch of Magic Keys is mine
To make each day with gladness shine.
Good Morning is the magic key
That unlocks every day to me"

Anonymous said...

We have spent many a vacation camping in the Keys. Love the place.