Friday, September 03, 2010

baaaack

Yes, I'm going to be back blogging, now that L is ensconced in her dorm at a small college somewhere within the lower 48.


(Notice the fetching comforter [duvet] cover . . .)



This is the way her bed looked, before we saw the guy across the hall's room (yes, guy; this is 2010, a very progressive place, and god help us). His bed was not lofted, and the desk was moved out from under (well, obviously), and it all looked so much more apartment-ish, so L's roommate pleaded with him and his dad to come over and help move the beds down. Poor D and I helped as best we could.

It looks much better. Sorry I didn't take before and after pictures, but the days there were so fraught with emotion, I'm surprised I got this much recorded.

view out dorm window . . .

While we were there, we received a voice mail, sent by my neighbor on Tuesday morning, only we got notification that it was sent late on Wednesday (bye, AT&T) telling me that the power was off. She didn't know to call the power company, so did nothing until we finally returned her call (thanks, AT&T; we'll be contacting another carrier). Suffice to say, we lost all foodstuffs in fridge & freezer. I think, given all the horrific happenings of this summer (hot water heater quitting on July 4, plumber arriving July 9 or so; car; etc etc) I feel we are just about out of options for catastrophe at this point. Been down so long, it looks like up to me, as Richard Farñia wrote.

11 comments:

Kurt said...

Whaddya mean 2010? I lived in a coed dorm in 1982.

tut-tut said...

Kurt, I went to a women's college, so men on board . . . well. It's all Greek to me.

Megan said...

My dorm was co-ed but the guys were on the first floor. Girls got the top two to themselves (theoretically).

Baino said...

Hey welcome back Toots. Glad L's all snuggled in.

Middle Ditch said...

From now on things can only get better. Nice dorm BTW

karen said...

Welcome back! I'm sure nothing more can possibly go wrong..

Shammickite said...

She's lucky to have so much room in her dorm. YoungerSon had to share a tiny room with 2 other large young men during his first year at uni. Stacked beds and stacked desks and hardly any space for clothes.
I am amazed that he survived it.

Betty said...

Glad to see you back! L's dorm looks very much like no 2 daughter's. Her halls were co-ed too. It was quite nice having some tall men around to reach things (she's very tiny.)

Crone and Bear It said...

I'm glad you're back to blogging - I love it when you blog. The duvet cover is fabulous - L is so lucky to have you! As for the power outage - I went through that last year and it was one of the worst messes ever - 5 days without power and I had JUST filled freezer - we grilled everything we could but still there was water dripping and it was such a horrid mess - I so feel for you sweetie. Better days are coming! xo

mouse (aka kimy) said...

tis a beautiful duvet cover!!!

sorry the problems with major appliances continue!

sounds like along with the loss of electricity a cell tower might of gotten hit too!

oy, oy, oy

hugs

Betty Carlson said...

Hey, I was in a coed dorm at Stanford, and you know how long ago that was! I guess that was really progressive.