Wednesday, January 09, 2013

Timber . . . not with a bang but a whimper

Today is the day. The Christmas tree must come down.

This is the reason I don't like to put the tree up in the first place. Taking the ornaments off is the saddest, dreariest activity. Ever. The holiday is over. It's wet, gray January. And really, what is there in the offing?

Adding up the accounts for the taxes.

Valentine's Day.

That's about it, really.

I look at all the ornaments, and we now put up only those that have been made by someone—mostly Helen's, but lots by Lucy, and others (some by me) and I think of time disappearing. Other Christmases with lots of relatives around, who no longer are here . . . Argh

All right, enough being maudlin.  Time to get down to business.

However, I may have to break my austerity pact (just this once) and buy two skeins of Madeleinetosh Tosh DK (they're on sale, and I can make the Honey Cowl x 2; presents!).

But maybe I can restrain myself.

7 comments:

Roy said...

"And really, what is there in the offing?"

Hopefully, more snow!

Megan said...

I did get some enjoyment out of the take-down this year - I went into it determined to re-pack everything fresh and maybe save on some closet space - and I did so well I eliminated the need for two whole boxes without getting rid of a single ball! Well, except the one I dropped on the hearth that shattered into a bajillion pieces...

Anonymous said...

I hope my flame ghost did not haunt much :)
One thing at least makes us happy after Christmas holiday and it is lengthening of day even we will get snow more and more until April and hardest frosts are still coming but days are now 5 h 42 min, about 45 min longer than before Christmas :)It is happiness !
Good weekend to you and yours!

karen said...

Belated New Year greetings to you, and thanks for visiting my blog! Maybe we'll be more frequent bloggers this year? Looking forward to 2013!

Betty said...

We didn't have a tree this year - first time in 32 years! It was one of those 'sensible' decisions based on our being frantically busy beforehand and then being away at Christmas.
Silly us. Tree next year.

nerima roberts said...

Beth,
When it's time to disassemble the Tree, I treat myself to an extra large glass of wine. :))))

colleen said...

Such a late comment - but I hope that you didn't hold back on the yarn and that it got you through to St V's.