Tuesday, November 02, 2010

Sauerkraut?

To a green thought in a green shade. –A. Marvell, from "Thoughts in a Garden"


OK, I've tried this before, and the results were not just inedible, they were scary—gloppy, gray mass of . . . what?

I'm trying it again (please excuse the less than sharp photos; I don't know if this is due to overexcitement of starting the process again, or fear of freakish results)


Using the method from Eugenia Bone's Well-Preserved (Clarkson Potter, 2009)

shredded cabbage + 1-1/2 Tbl of pickling salt

My own touch, to keep out creepy crawlies (natural, too).

Bag of 1 qt water + 1-1/2 Tbl pickling salt; per Ms Bone, it acts as a weight, and if it leaks, it leaks only brine.

If I can bring myself to haul out the canning equipment, I intend to make pickled cauliflower from this book as well. Cauliflowers are on sale at all the groceries here now, firm, meaty, sparkling white. So, onward!

4 comments:

Kurt said...

I want to learn to pickle.

tut-tut said...

the excitement builds; pickling photos tomorrow!

e said...

Good luck with this. I have a recipe for curried cauliflower soup that I got from another blogger if you are interested.

Love the Shakespeare!

deedee said...

Reminds me a little of when I tried to make KimChee...a farty smelling failure, but I want to try again.