Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Tuesday

I'm getting excited about a Facebook group that is coalescing to start a food coop here. When our locally owned and independent natural foods grocery was taken over or bought out or muscled out, take your pick, by Whole Foods back in May, I wasn't exactly happy. But things are getting less local and more corporate by the week. 365 brand seems to rule; seating in front of the little cafe area has been removed in favor of floor display space; and my beloved bulk dried fruits have been banished to soulless Whole Food prepackaged 8-oz units. I know my favorite dreadlocked bulk manager is not happy about that.

So, maybe I'll be much more involved in getting a food coop off the ground. Maybe it will be the next independent, locally, cooperatively owned grocery!

4 comments:

Merle Sneed said...

Good luck on that co-op. I wish lived where things could be grown...other than cacti, of course.

Kurt said...

I loved shopping at Rainbow Grocery when I lived in SF. There's nothing like that here.

Crone and Bear It said...

yikes we just had a new Kroger built -- talk about corporate - big boxes takin over the world - would love a co-op in my area and need to look into it coz I'll just bet there might be somthin... ;) Till then I love to shop at the one market that we have downtown where you can find the independent growers just not enough of them...

alice said...

I'm in on that group as well... perhaps I'll see you Tuesday? In the meantime, there's always the potential of Enzo's...